Thursday, January 9, 2014

Cooper's First Time on Skis!!!

(I do realize that I am completely skipping over the holidays and New Year's by posting this now. I'm OK with that.)


New ski pants: $12 (Target)
Ski rentals: $15 (Sports Authority)
Helmet rental: $10 (Copper Mt.)
Ski tip connector thingy: $10 (Copper Mt.)
Lunch slopeside: $50
Gas: $15
Parking: $0 (FREE shuttle lot)
Lift tickets: $0 (The magic carpet is FREE at Copper!!)
Taking your kiddo skiing for the very first time: PRICELESS

Jason and I took Cooper out for his first ski adventure last Friday, Jan. 3, 2014, to Copper Mountain. This was a momentus occassion for us, for obvious reasons, as I practically spent my entire teenage years on skis and when I met Jason not long after moving to Colorado, skiing continued to be a big part of our lives. After all, we were engaged in Steamboat Springs after a beautiful day on the slopes back in March 2002 so it is obvious that we want to share this amazing sport with our boys.


We rented his skis from Sports Authority Thursday night and his first lesson commenced immediately.

Lets do this!!
(Papa was excited, too. Don't let this picture fool you!)
 
Cooper practicing his "pizza".
 
We headed out not so bright and not so early on Friday morning but made it to the slopes a little after noon. (Tate spent the day at home with Nana & Papa.) It was a picture perfect Colorado ski day with bright blue skies and sunshine!
 
Cooper protecting his eyes from the bright sun with Daddy's goggles and hydrating for his day on the slopes.
 
All geared up. Lets go! 
 
 
After renting a helmet, we were off to the (free) Magic Carpet for some (free) ski lessons, provided by Coach Mom and Coach Dad, with assistance by the wonderful ski harness from Ashton. Cooper took about half a dozen runs and was starting to get the wedge/pizza and french fries concept. Pizza=slow down; french fries=go fast!  All that talk of food made us hungry.
 
 
After lunch, Cooper managed just 2 more runs before the "I'm tired. My legs hurt. My feet hurt." started so we called it a day. Jason and I had both agreed not to push him past his limit and to ensure this was a good experience for him so he'd want to go again. I think we accomplished that.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Here is the only video I was able to capture:
 
 
 
 
 
Cooper was a tired but happy boy. The only thing missing in this picture is a hot chocolate with whipped cream. Alas, he didn't want one because it would be "too hot". My sweet little boy. I sure hope there are lots of family ski days in our future!
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment